Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Thought I had no words left...

I am so ashamed. And sad. I really felt my whole being drop to the floor when I read the new report from the ECRI about the situation of racism and intolerance in Denmark. How the f*** did we let this happen to our beautiful country? How did we let this government and their companions through everything, the Danish People’s Party, undermine and castrate the entire belief system that served as the foundation under our constitution? I am so ashamed. Of my own ignorance and apathy. Of the silent majority. Of the total lack of compassion reflected in the report, regardless of the fact that it is not representative of the population as a whole. Of not being able to do anything. Of being tired of fighting the same stereotypes, battling with a machine of a “welfare” system supposedly based on the idea of equality, struggling to convince myself that there is still good and will left in the Danish people to rage against the machine. Of wanting to change my citizenship thereby relinquishing my heritage as a Dane. I am ashamed of the way I let myself get upset about this. I am ashamed of wanting to stay away. I don’t care about a fragment of the Muslim population being fundamentalists (but not necessarily terrorists). I don’t give a rat’s ass about the so-called ‘crime of ethnic youth’. In perspective, I would probably react the same way if I was living in a country where it is publicly justified to engage in verbal abuse of people you don’t know and gross generalisations that guard the fortress of the liberal and so incredibly self-f******-righteous traditions and ‘culture’ (what a laugh!). Denmark has become a mockery of its ideals, it has become the rotten state that it was once feared it would become. Call me a traitor, tell me that I’m not being civilised in my rage and that arguments which include swearing and uncontrolled rants are not valid in a political discussion. I don’t care. I haven’t heard a single intelligent uttering on this issue from our government in the past 5 years. I’m so immensely and fundamentally ANGRY about what has happened to the country I call my Fatherland. Of what we – all of us – have let happen to it. Where is Grundtvig, where is Kierkegaard, where are the people that invented LEGO? Where is our pride? What is left to be proud of? If this is the Danish-ness we are supposed to protect, I’m signing out, giving up all my social benefits, erasing my CPR. number, changing my mother tongue. I do not want part in this anymore, not even by linguistic association.

1 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Fitti said...

First off, uncontrolled rants and swearıng are perfectly acceptable when arguing, it only exposes your passion. Second, it's good to see people who care about their country and its future. Don't trade in that passport just yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home