Monday, October 15, 2007

Brilliant Sunday

Today was one of the best days for me personally since I got here. I know it might seem superficial to have enjoyed this so much when my purpose here is so much more important - but still. I think my reaction today shows something about me, that even I, the superhuman perfectionist is human.

The day started at 5:20 AM in the dark. I got up, put on my hat and socks for the first time since I got here and met Hans in the kitchen. We then walked through the small streets of the town behind our house and up the hill. On the hill, there is an old fort with a temple safely placed within the protection of the walls. Hans and I sat down at the main gate facing east and waited for the sun to rise. Hans is an excellent photographer and while he took pictures, I meditated while watching the light over the Jhalawar district turn from purple, to pink, to a cold white-bluish shade that lingered until the blood-red sun started crawling above the horizon. It was an extremely peaceful experience and an absolutely excellent way to start a Sunday; the only thing that could've made it better was the presence of my love.

Minor setback for top grades on this Sunday was the encounter with a rat in the kitchen when we got back. Hans, my hero, carried the trash out to the container in the street (which is in desperate need of improvement AND emptying) and we watch the rat speedily run into garbage heaven... I went back upstairs and slept for another hour or so, had the nicest dream and felt properly Sunday-warm when I woke up. Sanjeev had prepared an exquisite breakfast - omelettes, toast and a perfect chai :-) After the slow togetherness over morning tea, and after reading an incredible email from an incredible person, Nanna, Hans and I ventured into a political discussion - just to get the brain started for the day. An hour later, Nanna, Sanjeev and I left the house to visit our friends in Jhalawar. They are actually our tailors, a couple with three children that always welcome us and make us feel at home even if we can't verbally communicate.

There's no point in addingup the endless amounts of delicious sweets and interesting salty dishes that were put before us at the home of Rosham, Hamid, Tabasum, Anju and Wasim. All that really matters is that these are truly great people, modest and warm and smiling and friendly - and not pushy as their neighbours were, but calm and down-to-earth about us being white. This might seem like a weird comment but it was a true blessing to be invited into their home so unpretetiously and with such enthusiasm stemming from them liking us, not just finding us interesting. Rosham gave us both bangles, earrings and a Rajasthani scarf as gifts for coming to celebrate Eid with them - and told us that we were her first friends. Nanna and I agreed after the visit that we could now officially call the Tailor family our first Indian friends (apart from our guides and the staff obviously, but they don't count since we didn't have to make an effort to meet them :-)).

Brilliant Sunday will now continue with me reading my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home