Tuesday, June 13, 2006

This is a job for... SuperSara!

Just as I thought I couldn't feel more isolated in my research work / thesis production, Uffe steps in and saves the day. A great thanks to Lars who on his blog made a comment about it.

In the Sunday edition of Berlingske Tidende, Uffe Ellemann-Jensen, former Minister of Foregin Affairs for Venstre (the Liberal Party) said that an impartial scientific study should be carried out in order to establish the real character of the infamous 'tone' in the Danish debate about 'foreigners'. What a blessing! It was basically a confirmation of my right to do what I'm doing - and that I'm not alone in thinking this is necessary for the future of Denmark. There are way too many easy labels to put on people - I particularly don't like the frequent and indiscriminate use of 'racist', 'hatred against foreigners' (fremmedhad) for the one side and 'idealist' (used as a bad word), left-wing radicals and so forth about people who think something is kind of 'rotten in the State of Denmark'. I insist on my right to be tolerant towards people who live their lives differently than me - but I retain my right to be against any expression of prejudice (whether it be committed by 'proper Danes' against 'foreigners' or by Pakistani-Danish men against the women in their families), violence (whether it be committed by white supremacists in Beligum or by brothers of sisters who love someone they are not supposed to) and ignorance. Yes, the last one might be my primary focus of action. Einstein once said

"There are only two things that are infinite - the Universe and ignorance. But I'm not sure about the first one"

I like it. Therefore, I am currently fighting my own ignorance about the deeper meaning of what is being said in the Danish public discourse but also trying to make a small contribution to eliminating some of the general Danish ignorance about our primary 'others'. It is not about calling people racists - it is about learning how to live together, about the Danish people realising the power they exercise against their minorities through producing a social truth every single day in the newspapers. I want to change that truth. But first I have to show that it is bad for Denmark.

So, right, where was I. Oh yes, Uffe was quoted in the newspaper. I was uplifted and got so excited that I couldn't even explaing it properly to my mother on the phone. Because, my friends, it shows that sticking to your guns (I want to study History of Ideas, I want to focus on Human Rights, I think there is a need for people to work on how Danish people think) can actually be validated - even if just by the opposition it meets (cf. the hectic debate in the newspaper about whether such a study should actually be carried out). So this time, I have to thank myself even though it sounds kind of silly. Thank myself for following my academic instinct through all the years. Bravo, me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home