Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The lives of others

The lives of others

While brewing over my morning coffee today, I heard trumpets and voices on the street. Peaking out, I saw about thirty people line dup at the foot of the house across the street from ours. A flag was draped from the balcony of the 2nd floor flat, and the balcony door decorated with flowers.
A silver-wedding. Does that exist in other countries? When you have been married for 25 years, you have your ”silver-wedding” – and apparently my neighbours have held on for that long.
Their friends were giggling on the street, singing along to a song about the morning and one about the beauty of having someone next to you on your walk through life.

It got me thinking. And smiling. A couple of months ago, the same family had a big party in honor of what I assume was the son or daughter - a group of youngsters with hats who were celebrating the end of an era - finishing high school.

I like how people celebrate each other. I like how this morning, I saw 30 people standing in the street, singing and laughing, and two people standing on a balcony with surprised looks on their faces and a happy tear in one eye. Celebrating each other. Friends and lovers and those things in life that are supposedly common - living together, having children, their graduation, all the regulars and givens - without realising that they're not. They are actually pretty special events and moments in our lives, it is actually quite extraordinary to see others partake in a happiness that doesn't concern them. Great for my morning vibe :)

Happy Tuesday all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home